The center on a hill

The center on a hill
My home for the next few months

Saturday, September 4, 2010

I Am Finally Here!

Sabbath sunset over the city

The Church of the Holy Sepulchre

1st day of school pic....

After 30 hours of travel with a total of 6 flights I AM IN JERUSALEM! I still can't beleive that I am now in the Holy Land. So much is going to happen over the next 3.5 months and I would love to share my adventures with everyone. I am not a very strong writer or poetic so I will try my best to convey my thoughts and feelings. I have read many blogs that are lengthy and boring, both of which I am trying to avoid, so I will keep it short and sweet. If any of you would like to learn more about anything please feel free to email me and I would love to share (jbhawkins89@gmail.com).

1st Time in the Old City
On Wednesday right after we arrived in Jerusalem we took a tour of the old city so we could get a general sense of where everything is. We divided into small groups with a tour guide and a body guard from the center. I bet our security guard didn't realize he would actually have to work to save anyone that day, but he saved me. I had no idea what was happening until after the whole ordeal. I was with the group in the Old city and a man appraoched me from the back looking very suspicious and the security guard saw him and came running and got between me and the man. The man kept trying to get around the guard but failed. The guard finally gave him a nod to leave and he did. Now I don't know what would have happened if I didn't have that guard but I am glad I didn't have to find out whether he was a pick pocketer or innapropriate toucher or maybe nothing at all. But I am safe with nothing to worry about.

1st Sabbath

In Israel we celebrate the Sabbath on Saturday and we have our branch meetings in the Center with people from the community. It is very neat to worship in the Holy Land. We also went and toured the CHURCH OF THE HOLY SEPULCHRE and it is awe inspiring. while we were there the priest and monks were chanting and lighting candles. I am so excited to learn the significance of different rituals and holidays in each of the religions here. I respect everyone and their individual beliefs and I hope that after learing more about them I will be able to understand each religion better.

1 comment:

  1. Woah, Jessica! I can't believe you had to be saved. Welcome to Jerusalem I suppose. It's always unexpected. I guess one thing that man didn't know is that you wouldn't have gone down easily. You're a fighter (and that's a good thing too). Welp, I love reading about your adventures and seeing pics of that beautiful place. Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete